Thursday, September 27, 2007

Rain Redux

Rain, I don't mind,
Shine, the weather's fine.
- Lennon/McCartney


Today it rained. Actually it poured. Not like the winter drizzle. It was a heavy rain for much of the day. And of course I needed to ride my cruiser twenty-plus miles all over town through much of it - from 6:45 this morning until 9:15 tonight. But actually it wasn't so bad once I made it outside and donned my rain gear. What did suck was the hills I needed to climb on the outskirts of town.

Now when I lived in Lake Tahoe, I used to ride my bike to work and coming home was a thousand foot ascent. These hills today were a couple hundred feet, but Tahoe paled compared to the steepness of these. Add to this the fact I was riding my one-speed cruiser, or shall I say walking my one-speed up these hills. But what was treacherous was coming down these hills on slick roads with coaster brakes - skidding and sliding with care and hope. But I made it.

It was a good day, and refreshing introduction into the rainy season. We will still see a spell of sun (hopefully) before May. I feel refreshed, enlivened, but exhausted. No alarm will be set tomorrow morning.

This picture is just a fond memory of sun looking towards Lummi Island from Zuanich Point Park taken last Saturday. This is where I flew my kite a few times over the summer.

No comments: