Saturday, June 7, 2008

Ohio

I trip I've taken probably a hundred times before in my life from Pittsburgh to Ohio down the I-79/70/71 corridor. I wonder how easy it will be to make these trips in the future now that oil is pushing $150/bbl. I am glad that driving an automobile is an option for me. My heart goes out to those people, for example, from West Virginia that needs to drive fifty miles to their Wal-Mart job in the '77 Olds Cutlass. Whether we like it or not, big change is upon us.

But I came upon an uncommon sound driving down the highway: the cicada. When I left Cincinnati a few years ago, there was a big brood hatching; this brood went underground in 1991 and emerged this year - earlier, I've read, as things are getting a bit warmer in the world. But the sound of these womderful insects, couple with the heat and humidity of the east was nice to visit.

And I was told the weather was beautiful in Bellingham, so it will be nice to come back to the changing seasons. I wish that I was there now, but many good times await in my travels in the Midwest and East Coast. Time to get ready for a wedding.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are going back there to get married?????? The "group" knew nothing of this~