Sunday, January 11, 2009

Ubuntu

My days of working with Windows XP are always full of surprises and. Even though things are current, legal and professionally installed, it is already a roll of the dice to see when my Lenovo Think Pad will lock up on me.

If there is once US company that epitomizes what is wrong with the corporate model in the United States, it is Microsoft: highly profitable, a crummy product that continues to be morphed into something not much better. It is only a matter of time before Microsfoft is unseated as the predominant operating system. But like the dollar losing it's status as a reserve currency, it probably will not happen soon, but the rumblings can be heard. Maybe it's the XP match with Office 2007 that creates this factor of incompatibility, but it is predictably a daily routine where something locks up my new Lenovo.

Enter Ubuntu, an open-source software package that I purchased on my Dell 1525N laptop and is a refreshing change. And as unstable as Microsoft is, Linux is rock solid. Here is an article in today's New York Times that made me appreciate how fun it is to use this newer operating system. Like driving a VW versus an Aries K-Car. I cannot wait until more people support the newer software versus the same old garbage we've been forced to use over the past decade-plus. But like many things, Linux seems to be taking route in Europe father than here.

Not much more to say, other than the fact that I am happy for Google Calendar in my increasingly activity-filled day There comes a time where I can no longer commit things entirely to memory.

No comments: