Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Charrette

So today I participated in my civic duty as a Sunnyland resident and offered my input at a Sunnyland Infill Housing Charette. What is a charette? I don't quite know. But you sort of luck out when you find yourself sitting directly across from the conceptual architect and she's actually listening to your ideas. Wow. Imagine if they actually put a greenway through the center of this new mixed-use, high(er) density development between Sunset and Illinois. The second part of this charette is tomorrow evening.

And upon sleeping on the idea of generating sufficient power to run my life, I realized that the task will be somewhat challenging on a budget less than five or ten grand. A hybrid wind/solar system is definitely worth pursuing.

And having a few extra bucks in my pocket, I bought the latest Home Power magazine, and sure enough one of the main articles was on a couple from Bellingham. I've been told that Germany - a country that gets 30% less sunlight than Bellingham (if you can believe that) - generates a substantial portion of electricity through solar power. I hope solar or wind is in my future. Time to sleep.

No comments: