Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Market

A busy night last night. By the time I'd realized it, it was midnight.

More will be written later, but here is a picture from the Farmers' Market - I believe I took it last Saturday. Green beans and leafy greens are in abundance right now, and I am getting a tad bit tired of eating them. But I am lucky to have such fresh produce grown at my doorstep.

I am amazed how people do not care where their food comes from. Spend hours researching the latest iPod, but don't question the practices applied to solids and liquids that you put in your body. And I increasingly read how chemicals long ago banned in the U.S. are abundantly applied to much of the produce in lesser developed countries that we import back into the U.S. Not surprisingly, the amount of these pesticides we ingest is significantly higher in the winter months when more of this food is imported from third-world counties. That's the benefit of globalization, I guess: Blueberries in January at any cost - to us and our children.

No comments: