Thursday, September 9, 2010

Bailey, Banks and Piddle

A drive to Sea-Tac today reminds me of how much I do not miss driving. Or being thrust into environments with way too many people in way too much of a hurry. I dropped off my housemate and her mom at the airport, so it looks like me and Bailey will be hanging out this weekend.

And my piece of paper containing my schedule (my 'blackberry') is filling up with scribbled times and places to be - from work to play and a volunteering stint at The Pickford in between. And fortunately a small house requires dramatically less resources to maintain it.

Not much more to say, other than an interesting e-mail I receive today. This one especially struck a nerve:

These bankers have collectively printed trillions of currency units, purchased unprecedented amounts of government debt, given handouts to commercial banks, slashed interest rates to record lows, and taken risky assets onto their ever-expanding balance sheets.

And how have these historic efforts fared? Poorly. Aside from a few outliers, economic data in the developed world is anemic at best. There has been little recovery in the jobs and housing markets, and the debt crises have grown worse.

Look, I’ll be the first to tell you that there are great opportunities and good news stories around the world; unfortunately, millions of people are having their lives and livelihoods turned upside down whilst Bernanke and his friends toasted themselves to expensive champagne at a luxury resort.

No comments: