Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Chained

These little birds were all about the bay where we anchored this weekend: Pigeon Guillemots. They would bob around on the water and take an occasional dive for a meal. A pretty modest life they lead. And while we sit in the boat and watch them and name them (both a common name and a Latin name) and study them and (try to) protect them, and all they want to do is fish for some lunch and raise a few little guillemots.

But today was a day of a huge expense on my sole means of transport: I broke my chain and I spent fifteen bucks for a new one and another fifteen for a tool to fix it. And then I splurged and spent another twelve for a new set of handgrips. Purple ones. My extravagance is over the top. But at least my handgrips are cool.

But this is the height of a beautiful summer, where you sit down to relax for the first time and realize it's 10:47pm. It was a night of gardening and realizing the wonder of planting seeds and germination. It was late planting the garden, but tonight corn, lettuce, radishes, carrots, spinach, and probably a few other seeds when into my square foot garden. I hope the squirrels stay away. They especially like to dig up the spinach seeds.

No comments: