Sunday, March 28, 2010

Death

I woke this morning to the mouse trap having proven effective. The poor little harmless mouse that was merely seeking out some vittles during a late night romp, and his efforts proved deadly. I wonder at whet level we deem life precious. A friend and I had a discussion toady about the heinous way that humans feel compelled to treat other beings, especially when the profit motive comes to mind.

This discussion was the spawn of my journey down to Sedro Woolley today to pick up some pullets. I chose two young hens - a spunky California White and a Wyandotte that I will add to the flock. I was primarily looking for variety, yet compatibility. It's always nice to meet to wonderful people inhabiting the Skagit Valley, and to go for a little drive through the fog-enshrouded foothills of the grand Cascades down SR9.

Some days I need to get away, even if it's just for a drive down the back roads of Skagit County.

The picture above is from the Taylor Street Dock, were I spent the past few sunsets. Tonight was definitely a night to stay in the house though, as the wind and rain moved through and made it much more conducive to lying on the couch reading with a dog at my feet.

No comments: