Friday, February 20, 2009

Gangs

Right: The body of a man who was shot and killed in Vancouver is seen lying on a street as police investigate the scene on Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2009.

Vancouver is the closest city to Bellingham and I am lucky enough to be able to listen to the far better Canadian news versus the U.S. news (term used loosely). Unfortunately, there has been a spate of shootings in lower Mainland BC over the past few months, much of it allegedly gang related. I guess there's no easy solution to rectifying this, although additional officers are to be added to the regional police forces. But every morning, the local news seems to tell of another murder.

Murders seem so foreign, living in a reasonably safe town like Bellingham. But I guess they are foreign. I do find myself saying 'eh?' quite a bit to end a sentence, and it seems quite natural. And besides, as much as I bitch about those damned Canadians all the time, we are much more closely connected to them geographically than the rest of the U.S.

And maybe that's not so bad, eh?

No comments: