Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Mobile Homeless

We live near a light industrial area, like a sign manufacturer, a hardwood floor company, etc., so there is a tendency for people to park their aging RVs on public streets unfettered. I call them the mobile homeless, and it seems to be somewhat common here in Bellingham. But it is interesting to meet the transient people passing through and taking a breather - sometimes lasting for years.

Sometimes these people are down and out, other times they want the mobility and choose not to be anchored to one place. It is really not much different than living aboard a sailboat, and some people have actually made a science out of living mobile.

This time of year many people pass through to go to Alaska, or as tourists to see a neat little Pacific Northwest college town. Many things happen ongoing that remind me of how neat it is to come to a town and lived the simplistic life - also unfettered. What amazes me is how people move to Bellingham from other towns and cities, and duplicate the lifestyle they fled and then replicate that lifestyle here in Bellingham. But I try not to judge. Sometimes I wish I could be a true consumer. No I don't.

Off to bed. A busy weekend is ahead. Oh, and here is a cool link to a neat blog I found while Googling rv and mobile homeless.

No comments: