Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Orchid

My housemate takes better picture than I, and also grows better orchids. Maybe this is a sign that someday soon I need to get the garden planted. Soon enough, and hopefully this weekend will give me some down time to get the raised beds in order. But agriculture is so plentiful in town and I've been given the overabundance of veggies and fruits that are already being harvested, especially the berries and leafy greens. And then there is the Saturday farmers' market.

A busy day today, with plenty of things to do. And the new food bank opened, so it was a nice night to get into our new digs tonight. I sort of liked the old building, but it was sorely needed. They say the numbers are up overall for those in need of the food bank's services, but tonight it was somewhat light. And there was an abundance of local produce gleaned from local farms.

It's nice to live in a community where there is such support among local farmers and families alike helping those in need. Of course, some take advantage of the system, but most seem to be truly in need of the services provided. Thanks to the Rotarians of Bellingham for this nice building, and a really fun place to go to volunteer every Wednesday night. The volunteers there range from ten to eighty, and tonight a sweet older woman I see every week told me about her motorcycling days across the Trans Canada Highway decades ago.

No comments: