Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fifth

Tonight we went down for a movie and saw a remarkable sunset followed by the neatest rainbow. No matter how cloudy the day is (yes today was mostly cloudy with sprinkles and rain) the sun always seems to break through for a satisfying sunset. It's also good over a holiday weekend to have crummy weather so the tourists can see what it's like nine months a year and deter them from moving up (or down) here.

But today was a day of sheet mulching a friend's yard and getting some garlic bulbs in the process. I though that you could only plant garlic in the fall, but she said otherwise. We'll see. (But fortunately my housemate scored some garlic at the farmers' markets, so we will be adding that to our list of fresh vegetables to cook with over the next few weeks.) I also did some other planting and will concentrate on getting some things in the ground in the next week. Yeah, it's a bit late, but seeds or starters should produce a full garden still.

The most efficient use of producing food from raised boxes has been by employing the square foot gardening method, so I think I will try that again this year with an eight-by-four grid. I sure that results will follow. So far, the cost of putting out my garden this year has been zero, but I think tomorrow I will need to lay out some jack for ground cloth and fencing and a roof for the chicken coop.

Oh, and the picture was taken from the Boulevard Park a few nights back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
Mostly, garlic is planted between September 15 and November 30 with the optimum time being October after the first light frost.

But, with our weather these days, who knows??? And, who cares~ just so long as you get garlic cloves, right?