Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Sore

Today was a day of limping around with a good sort of pain. Here's a picture taken where we pitched camp, along with the snazzy new $99 tent. When your last tent was purchased in 1989, the opulence of this simply tent is remarkable. We'll see if it takes the same beating the Eureka did. And the picture below was taken by my friend who is a photographer and lugged her gear up and down over hill and dale. Ansel would be proud.

But cycling sort of helps the alleviate the pain (don't ask me why), but when errands need to be run (and biking is generally more pleasant the busing it), I'll gladly hop on my one speed. With gas pushing five bucks a gallon, and reading more and more on the oil supply situation in the world, greater numbers of people will hopefully take to the streets. I can think of no more perfect town to bike in than Bellingham (especially in the summer). But I am obviously biased, as some do not live as convenient as I to town (up the hills), or are too fearful to ride a bike. (Yes, most people tell me that they are too scared to ride on the streets. But there is a web of trails scattered throughout Bellingham also - very conducive to biking from any point of town, as I have done.) I guess I live on the edge and if some day I get plastered by a Chevy Tahoe, consider this blog my memoir.

But back to oil today, and given my background in energy, economics and imagination, I made a prediction that gasoline will hit ten bucks by 2010. Ten-by-ten. A lofty estimate, but considering the myriad shaky factors impacting the price of oil, it is not unfathomable. And reading Twilight in the Desert doesn't help matters either. Low Batter. Signing off.

No comments: