Monday, June 30, 2008

Cascadia

It was wonderful to get out of town and venture high into the North Cascades. We got a back country permit and ventured into the Ross Lake National Recreation Area. Other than an older guy and his daughter coming out (with two pack goats), we saw no one.

Here is the stream we camped along - I believe it is May Creek. We found this dangerous to ford as the light was quickly fading and the water very heavy and fast and cold from the melting glaciers and snow high above. So we set up camp on the banks and quickly turned in. The only mistake was forgetting to put Maggie's food in the bear bag, so unfortunately, during the evening the raccoons enjoyed her breakfast.

But back safe and happy in Bellingham, bruised and sore from a ten mile hike each way. I must admit, I never hiked this length before in my life, so this was a minor milestone. And already I am thinking about things I will do on the next trip, namely less food, less water (yes, I will spent the hundred bucks on a filter), fewer clothes, wearing better boots and more time. And I learned how painful improper weight distribution can be on the back, collar bone and shoulders. But my German WWII rucksack fared quite well. I hope we share many more trips together.

No comments: