Saturday, June 28, 2008

Desolate

Here is a picture of Magilla and a friend at the dog park last Sunday. She is a great dog and plays well with others.

So tomorrow looks like a foray to Desolation Peak a few miles south and a few more east of SR20. This area was made famous in Dharma Bums and Desolation Angels. Unfortunately I gave those two books away, but they were both beautifully written and contained many underlined passages.

I not know how far in we will get into the park due to restrictions on four-legged companions, but we will probably camp on the trail somewhere near Ross Lake. We did splurge and bought a $99 tent at REI. And my WWII rucksack and twenty-year-old Coleman sleeping bag will facilitate my minimalist approach to many things in life, including camping. One can easily sink a grand or two into all the fancy camping equipment that's out there. Kerouac and Muir would scoff at that, as do I.

Today is doing some community stuff, tonight is a slow-food dinner party, then tomorrow is off to the North Cascades. So I do not know when I will write next.

No comments: