Monday, June 2, 2008

Business

So today I go to drop something off at a business acquaintance's office and he tells me that I am in this morning's paper. "Oh goodness," I think to myself. But he tells me is is for something good - involving my work with a local start-up biofuels company and an entrepreneur group to which I belong. If you pick up the Whatcom Business Magazine (an insert to the Bellingham Herald), my picture is on page thirty.

When you do not have a car, you need to have a fully utilitarian bicycle and a decent rack. This was a picture of how I transported the tools to this work party last week a few miles down the road. In another town, passers-by would think that I am Sanchez the hired help (sorry about the ethnic slur) on his way to tend their garden, but in Bellingham it is just another cyclist that takes advantage of this über-bike-friendly town. In spite of being ringed by mountains, the town itself is quite flat, and a one-speed bike is entirely sufficient. This think I miss the most when traveling is this humble little one-speed cruiser that has taken me over hill and dale for the past few years with nary a complaint.

A productive day that began at seven fifteen with a phone call from the 605 area code (wherever that is). Signing off at one p.m. from a coffee shop in downtown Bellingham...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know you love that little bike~ but some the hills in Bellingham can be a bit much for a one-speeder~
(sounds like my work ethic~ one speed....)

Like the other day, I saw someone pass you while they were walking~ you were biking up the hill..