Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Amused

The trip across PA yesterday was harried, beautiful and without incident. The most entertaining sight I saw was the numerous billboards greenwashing coal as clean and green energy. How amusing. I am sure that those in Appalachia would agree. If country pursues anthracite coal as an energy source, it will come with a huge environmental cost. And this is coming from someone growing up amongst the culm banks, mine subsidences, and fires of Northeastern Pennsylvania. But considering that my grandfather and great-grandfather worked in coal industry (the former in management; the latter as a miner), their efforts did contribute to making me the person that I am today. Hmmm.

But today was truly a day to have fun and we went to Kennywood, an amusement park that's been in existence in Pittsburgh since 1898 and is still a fine example of a magical, classic park with all the fun rides. I only rode a handful of rides in the park, and by far the most fun were the three roller coasters from the 1920's (see picture). These were all wooden coasters that offered tremendous fun, exhiliration and nostalgia: the Racer, Jack Rabbit and Thunderbolt. And I must admit,I was feeling a bit woozy after the last one.

And it was Mt. Lebanon Day at the park so my nephew (who downloaded these pictures) and sister knew all sorts of people (mostly younger folk, so I am led to believe this had something to do with school) from this beautiful old-line suburb (although not really my cup of tea) south of Pittsburgh. The second picture is of those more daring than I (or with a change of clothes) that got totally soaked on this Raging Rapids ride. And it was a chilly Bellingham-like day: cloudy, some rain, and in the high sixties with brief sun. But it was indeed a fun day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nothing like the amusement park to bring out the kid in you, huh Jeff?

great to hear that it has been a fun trip~ you needed it...