Friday, June 13, 2008

Endless

Mama said, "Don't go near that river"
"Don't be hanging round old Catfish John"
Come the morning I'd always be there
Walking in his footsteps in the sweet Delta dawn

Catfish John was a river hobo
Lived and died by the river's bend
Looking back I still remember
I was proud to be his friend

- McDill/Reynolds

Here is a picture of the place I camped last night in the Endless Mountains and likely will again tonight. This was a bit more legal camping site than the night before. Although technically, I didn't get the owner's permission. But I did back in 2006. It is a beautiful, quiet site and conducive to a great night's rest. Another star-filled night nestled in this sycamore grove by this old lazy river under a waxing gibbous.

It is remarkable to sit on the banks of the mighty Susquehanna (the longest non-navigatable river in the US), and spending countless minutes looking at the teeming life of fish fry, tadpoles, insects, birds, crayfish and snails makes you see how intricate a web we live in on this planet. I canoed this river many years ago and always seem to return to it.

Currently, I am having a yerba mate in a little coffee house on Courthouse Square in Scranton. On to a series of social events this afternoon.

Earlier this morning when I drove through Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania, I saw a sign that read "The World's Best Coffee." I pulled in for a sixteen ounce and two of the remaining donuts.
"Any sign the says 'The Worlds Best Coffee' is worth a stop," I said.
"That's what I do," he said. In the self-induced vicissitudes of my life, I sometimes wonder what I do. At least he knows.

And the donuts and coffee were splendid on another great (although getting warmer) day in Pennsylvania.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Jeff~ we can all live the good life through this camping experience. I (for one) envy you~ it must feel so good to leave the hassles of work behind and get out on the trail.

See you when you get back, my friend~