Sunday, June 8, 2008

Kentucky

A fun, albeit quite humid day yesterday in Cincinnati. This is an old-line majestic city with beautiful graceful architecture in many of the older neighborhoods. I have many fond memories of living here, but actually my fondest - believe it or not - are of the great biking trips I took in this city, as many great biking routes abound here - both road and trail.

Unfortunately there were few on bikes on the road today, as Cincinnati is also a town quite conducive to auto transportation and the choices of climate are 72 degrees inside or 92 degrees outside. I miss screen doors and windows and cool breezes off the Puget Sound (I really dislike air conditioning) of Bellingham. But it is drizzly and chilly today in The Ham, so maybe being in the heat is not so bad.

But we crossed into Northern Kentucky last night to see Jerry's Little Band - an older local Dead cover band that has been around forever here in Cincinnati. This morning is recovering from a late night and realizing it's 2pm and I've done nothing yet today. As Kentucky's largest legal crop is tobacco (marijuana is reputed to be number one) and they still allow smoking in bars. And everyone does. So I smoked a cigarette or two too, as to not be bothered by the second-hand smoke. But this is a vacation (sort of). C'est la vie.

No comments: