Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Burbs

Here is a picture I took on the fly leaving Norristown before the batteries lost their charge on my camera. I love the sturdy, old architecture of this town, even though it has seen better days and suffers the socioeconomic woes of many of the cities of the rust belt. Driving past shuttered factories and plants reminds me of the days of growing up when the US actually made things versus these days where we merely serve and sell things to one another.

The fact that the service sectors pay less than trade and industry is interesting in the sense that we've forsaken our once mighty industrial base in the name of cheaper goods from overseas only to become a service economy earning lower wages. And lower wages means lower tax revenues on many levels in a time of record government spending. I wonder what the future holds for our country?

But from the first-tier suburbs yesterday to the exurbs today. And off across the verdure of the State of Pennsylvania on the beginning of my travels back west - first automobile; then via air. Much looking forward to my return home and life on two wheels.

No comments: