Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Grand

I spent much of today on the Grand Army of the Republic Highway - US Route 6. The (mostly) two-lane ribbon of concrete winds through the Allegheny Mountains of Northern Appalachia. Beautiful old towns that dot the landscape nestled amongst the beautiful hills. And perfect weather. Maybe I unleashed some Bellingham summer weather on these wondrous old hills (much older, I've been told, are the Alleghenies versus, say, the Rockies or Cascades).

But it is nice to get out of the cities and off the interstate and on the back roads, meandering by the relics of a bygone era: small cafes and town squares are the norm, versus today's homogeneous crap...oh, never mind.

The next few nights will be spent camping and the weather is predicted to be perfect. I just took this picture of Warren, PA, a town near the Kinzua Dam where I camped a few times and sailed my little wooden boat when I was living back here. Pictures help, but the smells of life and rejuvination are remarkable and cannot be captured by these little pixels.

The highway calls me on this perfect day, and I will drive east a bit further and find a place to pitch my tent and lay my head.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like you are having a ball Jeff~
Don't forget to come back... the City of Subdued Excitement awaits... complete with its 50 degree "summer" temperatures...

Sue said...

Interesting shot! It's comforting to see others enjoying the beauty of this small 'city'. :-)