Saturday, June 14, 2008

Humid

"River gonna take me
Sing me sweet and sleepy
Sing me sweet and sleepy
all the way back back home
It's a far gone lullaby
sung many years ago
Mama, Mama, many worlds I've come
since I first left home"

- R. Hunter

A night that turned a bit warmer with a brief half hour shower this morning. The sky turned soupy with the summer humidity and the sun disappeared into the white sky. But I pulled up camp and moved on without incident. Back to the donut shop in Tunkhannock - about five miles up the road. Same people drinking the same coffee; same (or probably fresher) donuts in the trays of yellowing labels of Cake and Sour Cream and Iced and Glazed. I wonder if there were donuts in the Blueberry or Chocolate trays within memory; the majority of the trays were missing. But the two I had were just great. And the coffee, although not the world's best, was quite good. I love these vestiges of simpler times.

Visited Steamtown to buy a postcard, this morning. I read somewhere that Scranton was never even a big railroading town, so having this national historical site here is odd. But fortunately having a congressman with good connections in Washington helps.

Tonight ideally will be spent at a friend's house in the country with a big yard an a place to pitch my tent. Again, another friend said "sure she'd let you camp there." We'll see. The three prior nights placed luck in my favor. Pulling up stakes to move on to Philly tomorrow. I feel like I've been traveling forever but the trip is winding down.

No comments: