Friday, June 20, 2008

Rivers

Here is a view of the beautiful view from Mt. Washington in Pittsburgh from the patio of where I stayed last night. I've spent many years living in cities, so the noises of cars and trucks and trains and sirens was not entirely foreign to me and actually somewaht comforting.

But this is my last day away from home. It is always nice to end a trip when you long to return home. I guess I am not a big fan of extensive travel anymore.

But living in a cool town such as Bellingham that incorporates the daily activities that one would do on vacation (eg, biking, nightly sunsets) really doesn't make living there such a chore. Unlike the pained look on the faces of those facing the daily rigors of places like Seattle or Pittsburgh. But living in Bellingham, one does forego a cushy lifestyle, as (something like) 80% of the residents make less than $18/hour. But obviously money cannot be an indication of happiness, as the happiest people I know have transcended the silliness and futility of material pursuits.

No comments: