Monday, July 6, 2009

Food


It's nice to be able to prepare a meal from the bounties of local fare. The veggies are starting to come out of the garden and things like lettuce and kale and chard will be around for the rest of the season. Last year, we were eating lettuce from the garden until the first heavy frost, which occurred at the end of December. For varieties survived through the entire fall. And the kale actually becomes more tasty after the first heavy from. I look forward to expanding the garden next year.

And a friend stopped by my friend's shop yesterday to drop off some fresh-caught oysters harvested from the Lummi Nation (his partner is a Lummi) and I scarfed a few of them for dinner last night. Oysters are beautiful animals with their relic shells covered in barnacles and seaweed. And steamed with some salt and lemon, they melt in your mouth. But on a more somber note, oysters will probably become exctinct in my life time due to the possible increased acidification of the oceans attributable to the changing climate. I am surprised this was not a more newsworthy item when I read it in the Bellingham Herald a few weeks ago (relegated to a small line item tucked away in other less important news). I guess these are changes we will need to get used to.

Back to work on this cloudy Monday morning. I hope we get some rain. We need it. I prefer the days when it showers in the mornings and clears by noon for a beautiful day. But summer is here and that means virtually no rain for Bellingham for the next three months. I can live with that.

And the chickens (above) are doing quite well.

No comments: