Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Mountains

Today was cold by West Coast standards. But when it's cold in Washington, it's usually clear also. So I was glad to point my little pick-up north on I-5, drink lots of coffee, and return to Bellingham. But the vista of the surrounding mountains were amazing and I was able to see Mount Adams, Mount Hood, Mount Saint Helens, Mount Ranier, Mount Glacier and Mount Olympus in all their grandeur on my drive home.

The drive up the highway took me through all sorts of interesting and bland interstate towns in Western Washington, behind kind enough to name the land after the Indians from whom we stole it: Seattle, Snohomish, Tacoma, ...

I'm glad to be home in chilly Bellingham. And this cold spell should snap and moist temperature climates returning soon.

I also saw the huge caravan of police vehices stretching the entire secondary road from Puyallup all the way to its terminus at the Tacoma Dome. The memorial service was a moving site to experience for the four befallen officers, even though Mount Ranier to the east and its beauty distracted me. An interestng day and glad to be back sitting in a coffee house on Railroad Avenue.

No comments: