Monday, December 21, 2009

Small

I recently started a business here in Washington in tough economic times, and the task in one of the most daunting challenges that I've ever face in my entire ever-lengthening life. And most of the businesses that I encounter seem to be struggling noticeably. Bills get paid late, cash flow restricts, and the effects ripple through the entire business continuum. I wonder how much longer some of these businesses withstand this nonexistence of capital? And how can these bankers sit there so smugly as the small businesses decay?

As we all know, small business create most jobs, while large businesses shed jobs. The fact that the small business lacks any and all support in the form of capital (as the banks continue to defensively shore up their reserves instead of lending the money as their charters and purposes suppose while they strangle business owners - and I probably am speaking for many of the mid-sized businesses in this country also, as they too are impacted by much of the receivables owed to them by the small businesses - again, the ripple effect throughout the economy, but I digress).

And I live in a part of the country with one of the stronger economies. I can only imagine how those cities of post-industrial decay located eastward fare. I hate to be a doomsayer, but I think the real tough times are still ahead for this country and its economic and social stability and viability.

But I do feel grateful for the opportunities bestowed upon me in this life and by my ability to escape from my scrapes relatively unscathed. But sitting here in a coffee shop whittling away at 6:29 on a Monday night - doing just about the best I can do, as well as a sweet 1979 Spectrum show from Philly - the golden years, and I really need little more.

I wonder of The Spectrum is still standing? I was there once. Fall '88.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.