Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Batty

Well tonight would be a great night to be in bed by ten p.m., as tomorrow is an early morning meeting - like all Thursdays. We are doing a permaculture bike tour through Bellingham. Yeah, it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to feel I'm doing something mitigate humans' impact upon the planet and our inevitable need for change, whether by choice or not. But deep in my heart I feel it is too late.

It appears our ecosystem is in the beginning stages of collapse. Recently I read and heard about the white-nose syndrome mystery plaguing the entire bat population in the Northeastern U.S. By some accounts, bats may be entirely wiped out from this area, as scientists have virtually no idea what is causing it. I heard it compared to the colony collapse disorder and similar future freakish occurrences in nature will not surprise me. Things are definitely changing and the future does not bode well for this planet as we know it. But fortunately for the sake of time, the earth will have a few million years to recover after human being habitation of 10,000 years.

But it was cool to see the tail end of the lunar eclipse. Time to sign off.

1 comment:

Tshombe said...

Change is indeed inevitable, but you know that I am more optimistic about change.

Yes, the world as we know it will not be the same, but I think there is a great shift in the making, a shift that is bright and marvelous and full of light.

Call me idealistic, but I believe that there are far more of us who are embracing sustainability and respect for Mother Earth.

Some species may not survive, but I think what is coming -- whatever that may be -- is far better than we can imagine.