Monday, February 4, 2008

Mardi Gras

So Wilbur (a Mardi Gras veteran) corrected me and told me that today was Lundi Gras and not yesterday when I wrote the blog. "I figured everyone would be reading the post on Lundi Gras Day."
"I must have read it when the ink was still wet," he responded in spite of the time difference.

So I write this with expectation that most normal people on the East Coast will read this on Mardi Gras Day. This picture is the flambeaux carrier, the unsung heroes. They light the way for some of the krewes (like Bards and Hermes) and are a throwback to the earlier days before electricity.

Tomorrow will be back to Life In Bellingham. The past few nights have been a walk down memory lane. But back to rain and wind and bulbs pushing through the soil. And neighbors turning the soil. And the shiny BMW waiting out back in the garage like a patient dog.

Happy Mardis Gras!

No comments: