Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sitting

Tonight I did something I haven't done for a long time, and that was to go to the Vipassana meditation at the Red Cedar Dharma Hall. I saw a friend on the street last week that prompted me to go, which I did, and soon remembered how refreshing and rejuvinating it was to medidate for forty-five minutes. What was more surprising was how I thirsted for this quiet time and had a good sitting.

Most times, my mind wanders hither and thither especially at these times lacking any sensory externalities and in time of quiet trying to sweep it of all cogent thought. I hope to go back next week, if not sooner. I once told a friend that I didn't have time to edidate, and she replied "exactly."

Afterwards, I should have turned towards home, but instead my bike pointed towards Fairhaven, where I took a five mile side trip in the wonderful drizzle that returned to Bellingham. It's still too early to be all sunny and cheery. I need another month or two to chill before I shift into Summer Mode.

No comments: