Friday, February 19, 2010

Sun!

When I was much younger, I often times dreamed about moving to the West Coast and listening to Jackson Browne albums. Now I am living that life of buying an old turntable for my Techniques analogue receiver and the life seems to be pretty much what I expected. In the dreams, I ended up in sunny Southern California, although in actuality it turned out to be the rainy northwest corner versus the sunny southwest. But that's even better, since sometimes if life I don't know where I'm supposed to be until you end up there, and then it feels like I should've been there all along. And once there, it strikes you how life just seems to work in interesting ways and there's some grand scheme that is well beyond my comprehension or control.

But here I am in Bellingham, Washington, managing to pay the mortgage and enjoy the small things in life.

And oddly enough, I was in the garage a few weeks ago looking at my VW Weekender in need of some TLC. I came to the realization that this was the last thing I really wanted in life. My material wants in life had been satiated with this hundred dollar purchase (and what a steal for a hundred bucks). With a thousand bucks in work (carbs and reupholstery) it should be ready for a trip down the coast.

Here a picture taken a few minutes ago from the mother ship. In the distance is Mt Baker in its splendid glory. Can't wait to get out on my bike to run errands. Everyone is quite cheery these days when the sun appears.

No comments: