Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Fixie

Last year I bought a Felt Curbside single speed bike. It has two hubs: a single speed free wheel and a fixed gear - each on the same wheel, you just flip the wheel for the other option. For the entire time I bought it, I ran it on the freewheel side, as I was a bit apprehensive about making the move to a fixed gear (the pedals turn relative to each rotation of the wheel, so if you are cruising down a road at a good clip, your pedals are too and you need to either keep up with them, or slow the bike down).

So this week when I changed a flat, I swapped it out to the fixie side and it has been interesting to say the least. Personally I prefer the freewheel side, and will probably change back at some point soon. Just not today, as I am in a hurry and need to leave in ten minutes. I guess I could drive, as I have this little truck sitting woefully in front of my house that never gets used. (Sometimes I think that I should just sell it.)

But whenever I'm in my vehicle, I feel like a fat slug and yearn to be on my bike, so it's never a difficult decision whether to bike or drive. Especially when its 72 and cloudless.

A good morning following a nice evening of meditation at the Red Cedar Dharma Hall. I once told a friend that I didn't have time to meditate, and she replied "exactly."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Meditation, yoga and vegetarianism. Like my favorite Yogi says, "It's deja vu all over again."

Back to the Garden I go. Hi ho.