Thursday, July 8, 2010

Summer

It was most enjoyable to return to the heat wave of Bellingham, after returning from the heat wave of the East Coast. A heat wave in Bellingham makes the front page when the temperature is in the mid-eighties with a cool breeze off the bay. Conversely, a heat wave in Philadelphia is a hundred-plus degrees with humidity to match, and a stagnant air that oppresses everything. Needless to say, the former is much more appreciated.

Another nice thing is the quiet here on a summer's night, as air conditioning is virtually non-existent. Compare this the places I visited, where every home has a huge motor turning an air cooling machine literally twenty-four hours a day, and you have a constant hum permeating the air along with the heat and humidity.

I really do not like freezing in air conditioning, and I do not enjoy hundred degree temperatures. Needless to say, I am happy to be home in my humble home. I am lucky for the life I live.

Oh and the picture above is from the Bellingham Herald. It's of Caspian Terns at GP site in town.

No comments: