Sunday, March 30, 2008

Garden

Today I had a vision of what my garden will look like some day. And I think I have enough materials to build a chicken coop (and my neighbors too are looking into some hens). Bellingham, I've been told has a law allowing three hens (no roosters) in the city limits. They were out planting all morning in the drizzle, while I was still in my visionary stages. But we did bike to the library and over to look at apple trees at a local nursery for plants. Actually, I was looking for trees, and they didn't have many. I will return there for a wide array of native fruit bearing plants, as a friend gave me a gift certificate for it. But more importantly, I need to get the fruit trees in the ground, as we are getting towards the end of the spring planting season.

But a give fell from the sky this past week, sent from the god of blue shirts. Actually the package came via the USPS from my bother back east, and it was his castoff blue button downs of Jos. Banks and Brooks Bros ilk. Ever since the dot-com days, I've been enamoured by the functionality of good quality 100%-cotton blue button downs. The others that have diligently served me for years are getting quite worn and begging to be retired. Living in a town with neither of the aforementioned purveyors of decent shirts, this was always a challenge. Well that, and the fact that Brooks Brothers shirt quality has gone to shit. And in general, I find shopping to be quite a bore.

Ending the evening with a Grateful Dead 1989 Alpine Valley Wisconsin show. I am waxing nostalgic this evening, but they were some incredibly fun times.

No comments: