Sunday, March 2, 2008

Social

Here is a picture of Mount Baker erupting today. Just kidding, but it is a cool picture sent to me of some volcano erupting somewhere. To think I live less than fifty miles from one of these (as the crow flies) is quite amazing. It is visible from my back yard (the tip of it) and occasionally you can see steam coming off of it.

Today, we had a social at my place for an alternative currency exchange. Basically, these were quite widespread during The Depression as a way to offer and obtain services in currency units other than the US dollar. And in case you've been asleep for the last few years, the US Dollar is in a free fall, as compared to the Loonie and Euro ($.85 equaled one Euro in 2000; now it is $1.55 to one - do the math, that's an 82% appreciation of the Euro versus the Dollar). All other indicators from what I've been reading indicate that things could get far worse in the next few years. I wonder why this is a non-event in our media? I guess stories like "School Bans Hugs Over 2 Seconds Long" is more important. I wonder when it first became so obvious that our media - the overseer of our society's freedom - so miserably failed us?

Time to sleep.

No comments: