Friday, May 2, 2008

Moonlight

Here's a picture looking down the street of the little place I call home. I am lucky to have found Bellingham. Everywhere that I 've ever lived - people have always aspired to bigger and more. Bigger home, cars, paychecks and debt. I am glad that the general view in the Pacific Northwest is towards more modest lifestyles. But the clothing or equipment that people do own is usually upper end (things like outdoor gear, etc.). It is socially acceptable to a minimalist and place value in the person versus his or her "things."

I wrote the previous paragraph earlier. Now I just got in from my moonlighting gig and a friend picked me (and my bike) up (a surprise) - and off to a few bars we went. More the college or singles types of which I frequented many in a past life. But tonight it was fun to people watch and see the nightlife of Bellingham. Boundary Bay is more my speed, but the Callaloo and Royal were interesting places - I've just been to too many bars like that in my life.

And I did my part today to help keep Mother Capitalism strong and mighty: I spent a good chunk of my meager income tax check on a new half helmet, goggles, and used leather boots for my motorbike. I've heard that leather uppers on riding shoes are good to prevent your ankles from getting injured (or ground off into hamburger) in a skidding accident. But tomorrow and Sunday I will probably be riding it. More later.

No comments: