Saturday, May 17, 2008

More Bikes

Here is a picture of the Celebration Station (I didn't choose the name) for the Bike To Work And School Day today. We were right up the road at the Sunnyland Elementary school and we had a wonderful turnout with incredible weather. Getting up at 5:20am sucks, but it is already light out at that time of the morning (or soon after) and the people that helped me run the station did most of the work.

But is was a great time and I am glad that people are realizing that biking may be a viable means of transportation around a city with an extensive trail network and general ease of getting around. And yet sadly enough, many parents drive their chubby kids the three or four blocks to the school.

Then we turned to the carbon-based motorbike, and my roomate and I jumped on the BMW R60/6 and rode down past Lake Whatcom and through Alger to have lunch down at the Oyster Bar in Edison. I actually got a sunburn (and we sat outside to soak up the rays), and will need to take more care in the summer, as I recently purchased a half helmet and goggles instead of a full helmet, so I am much more exposed. After lunch we shopped a bit (some great shops in Edison, including a killer bakery). But it was a great day and I am pushing 19 hours of being awake, so I will sign off.

No comments: