Thursday, May 1, 2008

Safety

Another day and an unfortunate cyclist's death here in Bellingham. A 17-year old kid pulled out in front of a biker cruising down the hill and killed the cyclist. The student was driving to school in the morning, and sad part is that the schools was a half mile away and was easily accessible via a dedicated bike path. And I wonder why two thirds of Americans and overweight and third are obese? Tough question.

But whether young or old, and whether on a bicycle or motorbike, you treat every car as though they do not see you and are going to hit you. Cell phones are worse, as these people are the equivalent of drunk drivers (not my conclusion, but that of the many studies that have been conducted). At least the drunk drivers are predictably out at certain times of the day or week, whereas the drunk driver equivalents (ie, cell phone users) exist at all hours of the night and day.

And my housemate told me today how much she hated driving compared to biking. I think I have another convert to two wheels!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you actually biked down to La Conner to take this photo of the tulips??? You are definately my hero.... LOL

Jeff Westcott said...

Nope. My housemate took them. I live vicariously through here pictures and descriptions though...

Anonymous said...

LOL~ maybe next year, huh? And what better excuse to wander down to that beautiful area..La Conner?