Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mulch

Here is a picture what sheet mulching looks like. You lay down three layers of cardboard and mulch on top. Ideally you add some compost underneath, along with anything else that might add nutrients to the soil. This is not my yard, but one from the bike tour a few months back. I, with the help of a friend, laid cardboard down on a 20'x20' section and took two pick-up truck loads of mulch - basically stuff that Whatcom County dumps in a pile for people like me to use on their yard for landscaping.

But roughly one eighth of the yard is now no longer (grass). This will take about a year to break down into soil, but I can still plant some bushes and trees. Hope to have a picture tomorrow, it's just that I forgot to charge the batteries for the camera. And fortunately it poured for a few hours tonight and saturated the newly laid mulching.

But it is late. I biked home just at the end of the storm (around midnight), but a beautiful tail wind of about twelve knots (which happened to equal my cycling speed) made it feel like there was no breeze on my face.

It looks like work travel plans may take me to the Golden State in a few weeks. Personally, I'd rather stay in Bellingham, but the time has come to take to the highway. Much is afoot in the business facet of my life.

No comments: