Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Engaging conversations...


One of the most interesting things about out west - especially in Bellingham - is how people you meet on the street, in the store, etc. will stop and talk to you at length. No one really seems to be in a hurry. I met an old long-haired (yes, Bellingham is very liberal and full of hippies) on Cornwall and, although usually in a rush, I decided to slow down a bit and listen to what he had to share.

It turns out that we talked for almost an hour and I came to the realization I saw no reason to rush going forward. I needed to enjoy the time that was rapidly passing me by. Yes, life is still hectic and bills need to be paid, but I am finally glad I can downshift a bit and I can be more aware of the essence of time and my surroundings.

Yes, there are still people rushing around chasing their own tails, and I am glad they keep the mighty wheels of Mother Capitalism turning, while I ride the wake. Everyone seems to be in such a hurry with no destination in mind. Good for them.

The picture above is another taken a few nights back of the bike/walk trail. Today was actually very cloudy and in the high sixties while the rest of the country swelters. It felt like an October day back east.

No comments: