Friday, August 24, 2007


Every Thursday I awaken at the ungodly hour of 6:15am in order to be at a breakfast meeting at seven. It's basically a business networking group, and after seeing each other every week, you get to know each other and need to break out and have a party at a more reasonable hour.

Well tonight was the dinner party at one of the members' houses. Now I am all opposed to development, especially up on Chuckanut Ridge. But with this being your view (see picture), I couldn't see why we couldn't build just one house up here. Unfortunately, about thirty other people have the same exact thought. (And possibly about 800 others, but I won't even go there.)

I rode my bike here all the way on the Interurban (about ten miles each way). Going home was funky, as the trail was very dark, in spite of the waxing gibbous moon. After many twist and turns and quick hills, I ended up getting quite a bit lost. Well probably not that lost, but it seemed like it.

The wind usually blows from the southwest here. So I pointed my bike to the wind (or just off my left cheek) and eventually found some familiar landmarks. I saw the radio antennas ahead on Orcas Island, and coasted down Harris Avenue into Fairhaven, then home.

(And then there was the fast inner tube leak I had on the way there, but fortunately the host was a biker and had a patch kit I could use. How many twenty-five cent patches can one put on an inner tube?)

No comments: