Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Marmot


Here is a video of a marmot evidently warning others that the are a bunch of fat humans coming their way wanting to put in roads and dream houses with grand views. The shrill whistle and echo off the surrounding rocks resounding (literally) remarkably.

This past weekend is so distant in my memory already. I had to drive down past Seattle today and think I am getting too settled in to the Bellingham groove to appreciate the hustle and bustle of the City. I've lived in Philly, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and spent enough time in places like Reno, Cleveland, New York City, Vancouver, San Diego and San Francisco and can say that cities no longer captivate me the way they once did.

"I guess I need that city life
It sure has lots of style
But pretty soon it wears me out
And I have to think to smile."
-N. Young


Or maybe I'm just getting old.

But Seattle is indeed a beautiful city as far as cities go, but I'm glad to be back home tonight. And I'm even more glad to return the rental car and be able to free myself of that burden and walk home in the evening Bellingham breeze. The 1972 VW I recently acquired, and, like my old BMW motorbike, will just be a hobby to putz around Bellingham and its environs and someday (on either) make a cross country trip, preferrably in the bus.

No comments: