Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Jeans

I did something yesterday that I haven't done in decades. And that is wear jeans in public. I own a pair to wear when I'm riding my motorbike, but otherwise I've been wearing khakis since the nineties. Jeans are...just uncomfortable. But we had a picture taken with a new piece of equipment that we purchased yesterday for a company that I helped launch.

It's nice to consistently exceed forecast and have things come together beyond expectations. Considering that I spent many years grooming myself for this, it's exciting to finally have the confidence to employ skills that I've refined over time. There's obviously risk, but after chasing conceptual ideas for the past ten years, it's nice to finally be part of a company with seasoned colleagues in an industry that's been around for quite some time. I do not know if my level of stress has abated, or I've just gotten used to it. Either way, the headaches are gone. For now, at least.

The sailing has been pushed back a day, so we depart early Saturday morning just before high tide.

"In the night you hide from the madman you're longin' to be
But it all comes out on the inside eventually.
Knock twice, rap with your cane

Feels nice, you're out of the rain
We got your skinny girl
Here at the Western World
"
- Steely Dan

Oddly enough, I do not have this Steely Dan song on album and it kept repeating in my head all night. I was quite happy to hear it on Pandora just now. Time to sleep.

No comments: