Thursday, April 24, 2008

Coop II

So the work continues on the chicken coop. Quite sturdy and it should make for a nice shelter for four hens or so. I've never envisioned myself being raising chickens, as I do not eat chicken and don't really eat a lot of eggs. I guess I will soon. Local eggs are tremendous, with rich yellow yolks. (You see, I was more a city and suburbs person.)

And considering that the price of oil doubled in the last year and increased sixfold in the last eight years, something is awry. It is always good to produce your own food and I am glad to be part of a burgeoning local trend of producing food locally her in Bellingham - even in your own back yard. Now if I could only finish the sheet mulching...

But the compost pile (background of picture) is doing miraculously well. The smell and texture is beautiful. Not to mention the overabundance of worms that now call it home.

Tonight was a fun meeting followed by a pot luck with a local group with which I work (or technically volunteer). And my house mate is en route from California with Maggie. I hope her journey is safe.

Tomorrow I hope for the Bing carburetor parts to arrive Priority Mail, and I asked a friend to teach me appropriate German curse words to use when the BMW draws blood from yet another knuckle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff~
you may also be interested in this guys blog..very similar outlook (I think)~

http://onestraw.wordpress.com/about/