Monday, April 28, 2008

Oddly

Oddly enough (or maybe not), people have been coming to me telling me they've done something they never imagined: they'd sold their cars. One friend came up to me and secretly pulled something out of his wallet. Here I thought it might me a membership card to the CPUSA or the John Birch Society or something even more illicit. But instead, it was a WTA bus pass. He was an old hippie friend that said "I've never done this before, man."

We are lucky to have a decent public transportation system in Bellingham, but fortunately it is also quite easy to also just bike around. I wish I needed to take the bus more, but a bike suits me fine, as my radius of existence usually doesn't span more than three or four miles. I can actually get to many points in town by bike faster than driving. I feel sorry for Bellinghamsters that don't bike, as they are missing out on a pleasurable experience in one of this nation's most bike-able cities.

I wrote this (above) today at the Public Market while working. (Fortunately,) I erased a scathing tirade that included such things as energy decline, societal collapse, greed, etc., but the day ended well. The Bings went on, the R60/6 started right up, and I've aspired to a new level of BMW competence and hold my chin a bit higher. Carb rebuild? Not a problem.

Now for these friggin' knuckles to heal...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting reading that may coincide with your lost tirade~

http://www.braincourse.com/organica.html

Jeff Westcott said...

Good link. And not too surprising utilizing the present unsustainable farming practices.