Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Dumpster Dive

So today I went to the bike shop to ask if I could have their cardboard boxes. The mechanic motioned to the dumpster around back and said "take all the cardboard you want." So I made a few trips to the bike shop over the past few days to carry (using my cruiser) loads of cardboard. So climbing about a cardboard-filled dumpster might constitute dumpster diving.

What for? It is to sheet mulch a section of yard so I can plant things like blueberries or other edible plants and reduce my yard size by about an eighth. I've been told that this is the way to suppress weeds and hasten the generation of topsoil - basically doing in a year or two what naturally takes fifty or a hundred. To this I will add wood chips. This combination will add nutrients to the soil and hold moisture, among other things. I did not cut the weeds down underneath, so I hope this will not cause a problem. We shall see.

Oh, and the picture to the right is of the courthouse in Faulkner's fictitious Yoknapatawpha County taken from the veranda of a coffee shop. I traveled there back in 2001 to read Flags in the Dust and drink strong coffee and smoke filterless Camels. Incidentally, I am fascinated by Faulkner. I do not know why I posted these pictures tonight. Time to start carrying my camera again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.