Friday, August 15, 2008

Heat

As happens every summer, the temperature rises into the mid-eighties and the heat wave makes the headline news of the Bellingham Herald. Considering I strongly dislike air conditioning, I'll gladly take this conception of heat. One of the other benefits of no air conditioning is being able to sleep with the windows open and hearing the sounds of the gulls flying overhead, or the freight and passenger trains late at night. And since there is not the constant drone of air cooling machines (from my house or neighboring ones) it is surprising very quiet at night. Especially considering the the house is located quite near downtown.

But on the topic of real estate, it's good to see that the market is cooling off even here in Bellingham. On one hand, I heard (from a long-time realtor) that retirees moving here have dropped off significantly. But on the other hand, I heard that the 25-40 year-olds is moving here still in droves - and I read from other sources this is the largest demographic increase. (Year-over-year volume is off approximately 25% while prices are off roughly 5%.) It's good to live in a town that is considered hip and not turning into a retirement community. Not that I have anything against retirees (I've been semi-retired numerous times in my life, but I don't quite understand the blue-collar definition of retirement - and considering that I have slim chance of seeing either a pension or social security, I will probably never be able to retire in the fashion of current and past generations; I will probably do things requiring physical aptitude now and then put my brain to work when all the boomers finally retire and I can make a living wage), but people I know that live in retirement areas complain of their social inwardness and frugal spending habits (eg, order off the early bird menu, and be home by nine) thus creating a less than exciting social environment. Don't get me wrong, many older folks I know are very active in all facets of the community through volunteer efforts and outreach - I'm just repeating what friends have told me that live in these areas.

And I, at forty-two, am no spring chicken myself, but considering that 80% of the residents of Whatcom County make less than $18/hr, it is more of a place to live and enjoy life versus to build a fortune. And that's alright by me.

Off to the coffee shop to do some work.

No comments: