Sunday, August 10, 2008

Orcas Island

It rained all night. It rained this morning. But we still rolled the dice and went to Orcas Island anyway. It turned out that we had very little rain and the afternoon actually turned out to somewhat warm. I am glad the my housemate persuaded me to go - it was very enjoyable.

But tonight I am tired and after riding 130 miles or so on the BMW motorbike. It did run quite well, although I think it will always be a work in progress tuning it, like adjusting the carburetors. Below is a video my housemate shot of me coming down off Mt. Constitution (where the picture to the right was taken). Although the elevation was only 2,500 feet, it offered a wonderful view of many of the islands and mainland and the peninsula. I am sure you will see many more of these.

The evening ride home was wonderful watching the sun set in a fiery red over the San Juans while cruising along the flats of Padilla Bay on the smooth running 33-year-old BMW. Once in a while I feel like the luckiest person alive. Driving north back to Bellingham on this farm-to-market road tonight with the smells of the bay and farms and spectacular crimson twilight was one such time.

No comments: