Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Warmth

Today was the first time this year in Bellingham that I can say I was warmed to the bone. A beautiful day in the high seventies with nary a cloud in the sky. On a spontaneous move, I got my road bike out and went for a twenty-five (or so) mile ride down along Lake Padden and back through Lake Samish. The picture to the left is Lake Padden, although I did not take it. It is a great park complete with a dog park (where Magilla goes on occasion). But now it's back to the grind for a few more hours of work. Taking an hour or two out of your afternoon to go on a bike ride makes the late nights in front of the computer entirely worth it. I am lucky to have this flexibility, even though it does have its drawbacks.

One thing that did appall me was when I was passed by a Boxster and the occupants tossed some trash out of their convertible while driving past Lake Padden. I was shocked at the ignorance of those people still wantonly littering, but I guess even white trash can drive Porsches. (It was probably leased and they're probably up to their ears in home equity debt anyway.) I felt like the crying Indian from the seventies, and as I write this, I shake my head in dismay. Why do people come to a beautiful place to (literally) trash it?

But they'll probably go back to their condo or gated community, and I to my humble coal miner's home in Sunnyland. Fortunately, I only have to deal with those self-absorbed jackasses on a very limited basis.

Sorry about the rant. But when this is the greatest of my perturbments, I guess life is pretty good.

No comments: