Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sunday, Sun(less)day

A day of waffles, reading a hundred pages of Zen/Motorcycle Maintenance and then the journey into the garage to learn how to adjust the valves. Now I should have done this many times in the past on the numerous air-cooled vee dubs that I've owned, but I never learned. So today I tried.

Now I wanted to get to the auto parts store for a feeler gauge (.1, .2 and .7mm), but the rain persisted, and I still am unable to cope with this rain and dreary weather so early. I never made it out of the house until well after five, so tomorrow is another day.

But it is wonderful to feel the heavy the heavy engine parts in your hands and the finesse of tightening things to a certain torque (totally new to me after three decades of tinkering). Of course, the Clymer manual confused me, and the above site made it a bit easier. So I will only get to learn by doing. More tomorrow.

No comments: