Thursday, August 7, 2008

Ugly

I hate to judge others, but I find this house to be the ugliest one I've come across in Bellingham. It's nestled among cute (and some not so cute) turn-of-the century bungalows over in the Columbia neighborhood of Bellingham on Eldridge. I wanted to get a picture of this place many times, and last night I finally had the camera with me. I think this person places much more value in the vehicles in his or her life versus the neighbors and aesthetics. And although it has a nice view of the water, all the neighbors and passers-by get to look at the front yard parking lot. It may very well be an mechanic or garage after all. I wonder if he works on VW's?

But these are the days in Bellingham where the weather doesn't get much better. I was actually riding yesterday on the new bike lane on Cornwall and saw me and three other cyclists riding up the road and only three cars. This was a wondrous sight - more bikes than cars on the road. Bikes and bike lanes are a chicken-and-egg situation: Do the bike lanes precipitate more bikers? Or are increased cyclists be the precursor of the bike lanes? Either way, it is music to my ears.

No comments: